For many years, the world’s most reputable and respected legal directories have placed Bell Gully at the top of their rankings tables. Every year, directories such as Chambers, The Legal 500 and the IFLR1000 conduct extensive market research, undertaking interviews with clients and law firms to build a comprehensive picture of the legal markets around the world. Our lawyers, and the practices they have built, are consistently recognised as New Zealand’s market leaders.
International legal directories
- Bell Gully is ranked Band 1 for nine practice areas and 39 partners and associates were awarded 40 individual rankings in Chambers Asia Pacific 2023.
- In Chambers Global 2023, Bell Gully is the only New Zealand firm to have a leader ranked as a leading lawyer for climate change work.
- Bell Gully was recognised in 15 practice areas, including 11 Tier 1 rankings, by The Asia Pacific Legal 500 2023. Our lawyers received 45 individual rankings.
- The IFLR1000 2022 awarded Bell Gully the greatest number of individuals in its highest ranked category across the practice areas the guide researches in New Zealand, and has done so for 14 of the past 17 years.
- Global Competition Review's GCR 100 has recognised Bell Gully as having an 'elite' competition practice for the past 19 years, its highest ranking in New Zealand.
- Elena Chang is named in the Global Competition Review Foreign Investment Control’s 40 under 40 list for 2023.
- International Tax Review's World Tax 2023 awarded Bell Gully's tax practice a top-tier ranking, for the 20th consecutive year. The team is ranked in tier 1 for general corporate tax and tax controversy.
- Bell Gully's employment team received 5-star accreditation in HRD New Zealand's 5-Star Employment Law Firms report.
We have an unparalleled track record of winning major legal awards, both in recognition of the firm’s achievements and for the excellent work completed on individual deals. These recognise the strength of our relationships with clients, the scale and breadth of the work we do, the calibre of our work and of our people, and the legal innovation that makes the deals we work on successful.
Other recent awards we have received reflect our commitment to diversity, equal opportunity and our broader service to the community.
- Bell Gully was recognised as New Zealand Law Firm of the Year at the IFLR Asia-Pacific Awards 2023.
- Corporate partner, Anna Buchly, won NZ Dealmaker of the Year, at the Australasian Law Awards 2023.
- Bell Gully was recognised for excellence in the NZ Deal Firm of the Year 2023 category at the Australasian Law Awards 2023.
- Bell Gully has been recognised for excellence across nine categories at the New Zealand Law Awards 2023, including Employer of Choice 2023.