The team also has a strong focus on the food, beverage and hospitality sectors, with deep knowledge of legislation such as the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act, the Wine Act, the Food Act, the Commodity Levies Act, the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code, the Advertising Standards Authority Codes, the Fair Trading Act, Smoke Free Environments Act and the Accident Compensation Corporation.
We provide consumer law assistance on the following aspects:
- new product development,
- brand protection,
- terms of trade,
- website trading terms and conditions,
- payment mechanisms,
- regulatory compliance of products and packaging,
- vetting of advertising,
- marketing and point of sale materials,
- promotions and competitions,
- privacy and data collection issues,
- consumer complaints to regulatory bodies,
- misleading and deceptive advertising,
- Commerce Commission and Fair Trading Act complaints,
- investigations and prosecutions,
- product recalls,
- disputes and litigation over consumer goods, and
- passing off and other intellectual property infringements.
We act for numerous manufacturers of fast moving consumer goods and other consumer goods, food and beverage products, retailers and advertising agencies.
Acted on numerous complaints to the Advertising Standards Complaints Board.
Successfully acted for a multinational manufacturer of household products in litigation against a supermarket to remove counterfeit products from sale.
Misleading and deceptive advertising
Acted in court proceedings and disputes over misleading and deceptive advertising of consumer goods and services including for adhesives, seeds, animal foods, animal remedies, dairy products, alcoholic beverages, juice products, ice creams, confectionary, clothing, coach services, soap, banking services, and fast moving good (FMCG) products.
Fast moving consumer goods (FMCG) manufacturers
Regularly advising major FMCG manufacturers on new product, packaging, advertising and promotions compliance issues, brand protection, product complaints, and other consumer law issues.
Contractual terms of trade
Advised a wide range of consumer goods manufacturers on their contractual terms and conditions and website trading terms as well as on compliance with the Consumer Law Reform changes.