Richard is a widely-experienced regulatory specialist and supports clients across several key practice areas, including:
- Privacy and data protection.
- Consumer credit and responsible lending.
- Payment regulation and open finance.
- Retail, digital marketing, e-contract design and click-wrap structures.
- Emerging technology and growth industries including IOT and connected cars.
- Unfair contract terms and unconscionable conduct.
- Climate related disclosure and ESG.
In addition to providing advice on product development and compliance, Richard has represented clients in response to investigations by various regulators, including the Commerce Commission, the Financial Markets Authority and the Serious Fraud Office. He also regularly assists clients with law reform activities including submissions on key legislative changes.
NZ Lawyer describes Richard as “an expert in consumer law matters and regulatory investigations" with “a strong reputation as a trusted advisor." Richard was recognised in NZ Lawyer's inaugural 'Rising Stars' list which included up-and-coming stars in the legal profession who are committed to making a difference.
Richard is recommended in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2022 where a client says Richard "writes clearly and concisely. He has the ability to digest complicated matters quickly to help problem solve." In a previous edition a client noted “Richard Massey provides clear and reasoned advice. He is easy to deal with and has an in-depth knowledge of the law."
Richard has worked on secondment for in-house legal teams at Vodafone and Independent Liquor, where his role covered compliance, consumer law, privacy, and contractual matters. Prior to arriving at Bell Gully, Richard worked at Slaughter and May in London.
Richard regularly presents at seminars and is a frequent commentator on consumer credit, marketing law, e-commerce, and other consumer law issues.
For example Richard has featured in:
- A recent article in the New Zealand Herald on changes to consumer credit laws. Click here for the full article.
- A Newsroom article on plans to introduce a consumer data right in New Zealand. Click here for the full article.
- A RNZ article on the overlap between consumer and privacy regulatory enforcement. Click here for the full article.