Bell Gully is New Zealand's most successful law firm.
Being the best firm requires commitment, continuous improvement and conviction. Being the best requires that our people are connected and committed to the communities in which we work and live. We work continuously to create an office environment where our people not only feel challenged, supported and encouraged, but where they enjoy work and have fun at the same time.
We know that to achieve all this we need to continue to find the very best summer interns and graduates. Our summer internship programme is a key part of our drive to remain New Zealand's best.
From time to time we recruit for graduates, so keep an eye on our website, our Instagram, our Facebook and our LinkedIn for graduate opportunities.
In 2020, Bell Gully was voted among the top 30 New Zealand employers in a survey of recent graduates from GradNewZealand.
Bell Gully is committed to using our skills to help the wider community – a key part of our aim to be the best law firm possible.
We take this role in the community seriously, and we offer our support in a number of ways. Many of our people individually volunteer or provide free legal advice to a range of charitable, community and sporting organisations.
Bell Gully's sustainability committee, known as 'Be Green', focuses on how we can use natural resources in a sustainable way, and minimise the environmental impact of our operations. Its objectives include:
- Acknowledging Bell Gully's role in sustainability.
- Educating staff about what they can do.
- Developing relationships with clients with common aspirations.
- Understanding the role of Bell Gully in a zero carbon New Zealand.
To find out more about how we achieve these objectives as a firm visit our sustainability page.
Our community support comes in the form of donations, fundraising efforts and volunteering our time and skills to provide practical and appropriate help.
We have long-standing relationships with local and national charities (including Plunket, Auckland City Mission, KidsCan, Shine and the Breast Cancer Foundation), and we actively encourage and support our people to get involved in them, for a good cause. It is a spirit that is expressed at every level of the firm – from our summer interns, lawyers and business support staff through to partnership.
Click here to read more about our pro bono and community programme.
Our culture defines us and remains a core part of the firm's identity. In order to remain the best law firm in New Zealand, we must constantly invest in our culture and create an environment where our people feel comfortable and can give their best.
Bell Gully's culture starts with our people. We host many events throughout the year that allow staff to get to know their colleagues and develop stronger connections. These range from team lunches, through to the mid-year ball, the annual family Christmas party and end of year Christmas function. Staff are invited to Friday night drinks each week, with food catered.
Health and wellbeing are core elements of Bell Gully's culture. As such, staff are welcome to attend various seminars throughout the year on everything from healthy cooking and responsible alcohol consumption to skincare. The firm's dedicated sports committee also runs a range of activities for staff to participate in. This includes lunchtime yoga, inter-firm sporting competitions and corporate running events.
Each floor has a "breakout room", where coffee machines, snacks and fresh fruit are provided.
We have a 'dress for your day' clothing policy which allows staff to manage their own professional dress code based on their schedule.
Our staff newsletter BellConnect is published fortnightly on Friday which highlights what's happening in and around the firm.
No matter the size of a client, Bell Gully aims to build a strong relationship that enables deals and transactions to progress as smoothly as possible.
As a result of our successes over the years, we've built a formidable client list that continues to grow. It includes iconic New Zealand companies such as Air New Zealand, ANZ, ASB, Fletcher Building, Ngāi Tahu, Vodafone, Xero, public sector bodies, the New Zealand Treasury, the Ministry of Education and Vector Gas. We are very proud of our clients and the contribution we have been able to make to their success.
We're equally as proud working with emerging and innovative companies, helping them grow their businesses and New Zealand's economic future.
Our summer interns get the opportunity to attend client meetings and become involved in transactions. This gives them a unique insight into what's involved in deals of all sizes and scopes.
Some examples of recent work across our departments include:
Resolution Life acquisition of AMP Life's wealth protection and mature businesses
Advised Resolution Life on the New Zealand aspects of its acquisition of AMP Life's wealth protection and mature businesses for total cash and non-cash consideration of AU$3.3 billion.
NZ COVID-19 vaccine portfolio
Supported MBIE in its role leading New Zealand’s global negotiations for the Vaccine Strategy Task Force, advising officials from MBIE, the Ministry of Health, PHARMAC, MFAT and The Treasury on securing a portfolio of COVID-19 vaccines, with sufficient vaccines to cover the Realm of New Zealand (Tokelau, the Cook Islands and Niue) and New Zealand’s Polynesian neighbours (Samoa, Tonga, Tuvalu) should their governments wish to take these up.
Fire at New Zealand International Conference Centre
We are acting for a client in relation to one of the most significant insurance events in recent years – the fire at the New Zealand International Conference Centre.
Tainui Group Holdings
Advised Tainui Group Holdings on its recently completed deal for a new office build accommodation for the Accident Compensation Corporation in Hamilton City.
Inclusion and diversity
Our people are the foundation for our continuing success. We continuously work hard to ensure our workplace is inclusive, and trust that different experiences, perspectives, and values work together to achieve a better outcome.
Bell Gully are proud to have been certified with the Rainbow Tick and are signatories of the New Zealand Law Society's Gender Equality Charter.
To empower everyone to reach their full potential we embrace diversity. In line with our values, we strive to build an inclusive, productive culture that respects and appreciates the individual and promotes the value they bring to the team.
Read more about our inclusion and diversity values here.
Awards and recognition
We like to recognise and celebrate the achievements of both the firm and our people.
Over many years, the world's most reputable and respected legal directories have ranked the firm and our people at the top of their expertise areas.
We also have an unparalleled track record of winning major legal awards from around the world. These recognise a combination of strong client relationships, the high calibre of our people, the scale and breath of our work and the innovation of the firm as a whole.
Here's a selection of the firm's achievements over the past 12 months:
- Bell Gully won seven awards at the 2020 New Zealand Law Awards. Bell Gully's Corporate team was recognised as New Zealand Deal Team of the Year, while the Vodafone New Zealand acquisition won M&A Deal of the Year, Debt Market Deal of the Year and overall New Zealand Deal of the Year. Bell Gully's Corporate team also won Equity Market Deal of the Year for the Napier Port IPO.
- At the 2020 INFINZ Awards, the NZ$3.4bn sale of Vodafone NZ to Infratil and Brookfield won three awards including NZ Equity Market Transaction of the Year, M&A Transaction of the Year and Debt Deal of the Year. Bell Gully acted as Vodafone Group's counsel on this significant transaction. Chair Anna Buchly also received the Hunter Campbell Diversity and Inclusion award, underpinning the firm's commitment to providing a diverse and inclusive environment.
- Bell Gully's Litigation team was recognised at the Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific Awards 2020, winning several awards including New Zealand Litigation Firm of the Year.
- Bell Gully's tax team was recognised at the ITR Asia Tax Awards 2020, winning New Zealand Tax Firm of the Year and an Impact Case of the Year award for the sale of Vodafone New Zealand.
- Bell Gully was recognised as one of country's leading legal employers in NZ Lawyer's inaugural Employer of Choice 2020 report.
- Bell Gully won two awards at the Client Choice Awards 2020. The firm was named joint-winners in both Best Professional Services Firm ($50-$200m revenue) and Best Law & Related Services Firm ($50-$200m revenue) categories across Australasia.
- Bell Gully was recognised as the most innovative law firm in New Zealand at the IFLR Asia-Pacific Awards 2020.
- In 2020, Bell Gully was voted among the top 30 New Zealand employers in a survey of recent graduates from GradNewZealand.
Click here to learn more about our achievements.