Personal information is information about an identifiable individual and includes the individual’s name, address, email address, and telephone numbers. We collect information about you whenever you interact with us, for example when you visit our website (the Site) or if you instruct us to represent and advise you (or the client, if you are representing the client).
We may store personal information we collect in any format we choose at our offices or at premises outside our offices, including data storage facilities or online storage located within or outside New Zealand, which may be operated by independent service contractors.
Where your personal information is transferred outside New Zealand, you may be informed of the existence or absence of an adequacy decision by the European Commission regarding the intended recipient of the personal information. In the absence of an adequacy decision, we will ensure the intended recipient has provided appropriate safeguards and that requisite rights and remedies in relation to the personal information remain available, or we will obtain your explicit consent for the transfer.
Purposes for which we use your personal information
Personal information we collect and hold may be used by us (as applicable):
- to represent and advise you (if you are the client) or to represent and advise the client (if you are representing the client)
- for dealing with commercial or legal conflicts
- to comply with our legal obligations.
We may also use personal information (as applicable):
- for sending you Bell Gully publications and invitations to seminars and functions
- to provide you with access to a client extranet website
- for internal business purposes such as invoicing and receipting, making payments to you or on your behalf and debt recovery (which may involve disclosing information to debt collectors)
- for specific purposes we tell you about or you authorise.
When you visit our Site, we also collect general user information such as users internet protocol addresses, browser type and internet service provider details and other technical information. We use this information to administer the Site and to gain a better understanding of our users and how they use the Site. However, this information is not personal information – it does not include any personal identifiable information.
We may not be able to properly advise you or provide you with the information or other services you require if you do not provide us with necessary personal information when requested to do so.
Legal basis for the collection of your personal information
We process your personal information based on your written or oral consent. You may withdraw your consent at any time. The withdrawal of consent will not affect the lawfulness of processing based on consent before its withdrawal.
We may need to disclose personal information to third parties (including other entities or individuals who assist us in providing services or who perform functions on our behalf, such as mailing houses, hosting and data storage providers), including in the course of representing or advising you (if you are the client) or the client (if you are representing the client). We may disclose personal information if:
- it is required or authorised by you or your client (if you are representing the client)
- it is required or authorised by law or the Law Society's Rules of Professional Conduct
- it is required by law (including the laws of any foreign jurisdiction).
Contacting Bell Gully
Updates to this policy