The Bell Gully Summer Intern Programme is run from mid-November through to mid-February every year.
View the video Above for insights from some of our recent Bell Gully summer interns.
The programme provides summer interns with:
- A full induction programme,
- the opportunity to work in three of Bell Gully's legal departments, matched with one of our partners or senior associates in each, with real work for real clients,
- support from your teams, HR and a buddy throughout the programme, as well as regular formal feedback to help you get the most of your summer,
- work with our pro bono clients through the programme's Community Days,
- access to Bell Gully's learning resources and inclusion in the Bell Gully Leadership programme, and
- the opportunity to work with amazing people and forge friendships that will last through your career.
We give you an insight into the wide range of work the firm is involved in. That's why we give you the opportunity to work in different departments. In each department, we match you with one of our partners or senior associates. You'll work with them, their teams and their clients to get first-hand experience of what it takes to succeed in a legal career. Our summer interns research client cases, draft letters and analyse the impact of legislation on our clients' businesses. You may prepare for and attend court hearings, mediations and client meetings, seeing for yourself how issues are resolved. You could be part of a deal team, work with clients and external advisers and have genuine deadlines with pressure to match.
The summer is also a great chance to meet and work with other law students who excel. You'll get the chance to participate in departmental and team events and be able to join in a wide range of sporting activities.
We've all been there before – your responsible partner, your peers, and your buddy are here to help, support and guide you. When you start with Bell Gully you will be assigned a junior lawyer as a buddy, who will help you make the most of your time with us – from the moment you receive your offer, right through the summer, and beyond. A member of our HR team is dedicated to the summer intern programme, they'll help you settle in and answer any questions you may have over the summer.
At Bell Gully you are supported by the latest IT systems. Our document management system is integrated with our core software and we regularly upgrade our systems to capture the latest developments.
You will have a legal secretary assigned to you to assist with dictation, typing, filing and client communication. You will also be able to draw upon our extensive legal precedents, and our Information Services department will provide you with all the legal research tools you need, providing assistance to you throughout the summer.
We intend to remain the employer of choice for the most talented people, whether they are young graduates, experienced lawyers, or business support staff.
As a summer intern, on top of a competitive salary, you'll receive:
- Paid Christmas vacation,
- A $1,000 Clothing allowance to help set you up for the corporate environment,
- A relocation allowance if you need to move to Auckland and Wellington, plus practical assistance with accommodation,
- Invitations to social events throughout the summer, allowing you to meet other staff and summer interns,
- Invitations to departmental and firm Christmas events,
- Team building events,
- Involvement in our sports teams, and
- Attendance at leadership seminars.